Saturday, January 23, 2010

Contest closes tonight! And 2 more questions: baby books and rockers

Don't forget that you have but a few more hours to post your WTEWYE movie plot! You too could win a fantastic prize (that is, ahem, currently at the bottom of a pile of books on my desk, but otherwise in excellent condition and hopefully inspiring me to tidy up this weekend.)

My last post didn't come up with any suggestions for a mom-oriented breastfeeding newsletter (but I'm with Dou-la-la that gosh darn it, somebody should do one! Another project for the spring?)

In the meantime, I have one more question to pose: my cousin is expecting her first baby in the spring (yay!) and asked me two questions as she prepares:

1) Is a rocker/ottoman combo worth it for the baby's room? They can get pricey but they are pretty comfy! I tend to err on the side of suggesting to people that they wait on most baby gear (expensive cribs in particular, who needs a $600 laundry hamper for a baby that ends up in the Pack & Play or in the grown-up bed every night?) But that's just my opinion; did other people find those rockers helpful for getting baby to sleep and/or nursing?

2) What are good baby books? I own the Sears & Sears Baby Book - one thing I think is great about the Sears books is that you can trust them to have good, accurate breastfeeding advice, and not to give suggestions that interfere with breastfeeding. I've also worked with families that loved this book. But besides that, I have little experience with the baby book world - other suggestions?

4 comments:

hillary said...

1. I would recommend a glider rocker with a nursing-specific footstool. The glider footstool was pretty worthless IMO. Also sit in a bunch of gliders before you buy, because they are different. If you have money to spend, a glider recliner with nursing foot stool would be awesome because then you could sleep in it, if you end up with one of those babies who wake up when you stand up to go to bed. (I am using the proverbial "you" of course.)

2. I like the Sears Baby Book the best of all the books I read for infant care/child development.

SuSuseriffic said...

I AGREE with the first one. Why not get a rocking arm chair or recliner that can easily move into other rooms afterwards. Those baby rockers are horrible hazzards for moving children anyway (fingers pinched, easily rocked over etc) Buy a pack and play (or 2) and then if you feel like you want a crib later, then you an get one. I know having a formal nursery is fun for people but rarely needed or even used. Save that money for the toddler or older child to get a nice set up (after they have their own taste and likes).

All the Sears books are great. Very nice for dads too (my husband always read it)
Connection Parenting (Leo)
Attached at the Heart etc.... are good for AP leaning parents.

Cherylyn said...

1) YES! I would definitely sacrifice other nursery items to make sure I have a good rocker. I have am overstuffed rocker/recliner that I got for mother's day almost 7 years ago just after my second baby was born. It's well-worn and has been well worth the expense. I wouldn't know what to do without it.

I don't really have an answer for #2. I do like Dr. Sears suggestions from what I've heard so far, but I've never actually read a whole book on babies. Funny, because I have 5 children. But I grew up around babies and have tons of nieces and nephews and wasn't worried about reading up on it before I had kids.

Greta's family said...

1. By all means make sure you have a comfy chair to sit in- but put it where ever you most enjoy sitting. A view is nice. Some good light to read by also nice. I mostly nurse on the good ol' cow mattress (the bed) or the couch, but I enjoy reading and rocking while the baby naps in my lap in a nice rocking chair. I use my 3 yo daughter's step stool to put my feet up on.

2. I don't know how available it is, but Your Baby & Child, from birth to age five by Penelope Leach is awesome. I have the 1992 edition and it's practical, thorough, thoughtful, and touching. It seems to cover everything. It has photographs and line drawings to get across things like how to dress a baby in your lap, and pick it up and put it down, while it's bobble head is still bobbly. It has a handy chart of "playthings" organized by age, that explains why that type of toy is helpful. This isn't stuff to go out and buy necessarily, but suggestions for what kinds of objects or activities tend to interest a child of a particular age, including ideas for assembling or building things around the house. It also has a pretty complete medical reference section in the back (not in the main text where it might be sort of alarming) that addresses first aid supplies, all kinds of accidents, allergies, illnesses, and other health concerns. Anyway, it's a great book that I have found useful and reassuring.