Sunday, January 25, 2009

Nurse practitioner removes IUD without consent

In the oh no she DIDN'T! category, a nurse practitioner (and the community health center she works for) is being sued because she removed a patient's IUD without her consent, lectured her about how IUDs were like abortion, and refused to insert a new one. According to the plaintiff, the NP said "Everyone in the office always laughs and tells me I pull these out on purpose because I am against them, but it’s not true, they accidentally come out when I tug.” So funny! You know, everyone always laughs and tells me I eat so many cookies on purpose because I like them, but it's not true, they just accidentally fall into my mouth. Read the original complaint here.

But seriously, think about this: if this is an accurate quote, the NP has done this enough times to be "always" teased about it in the office. How many other women did this happen to before she hit on one who was angry and organized enough to sue her? Why was this a cause for humor and not for concern? Like I said about the abusive OB who was being sued, for every woman who sues there are many more who experienced the same thing and did not or could not speak up.

No comments: