Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Link party, August blogcation

I guess my blogging is on an August hiatus? Between traveling and bracketing the traveling with long shifts at work, I am not doing much blogging (also, my e-mail inbox hates me - at least, I assume the feeling is mutual. So if you've e-mailed me and not heard back, that may be a factor.) Early September may not be much better, but I promise to post again soon!

In the meantime, some links:

* Jessica Valenti on learning to love her baby through a harrowing delivery and long NICU stay


* From Birthing Beautiful Ideas, these are many of the reasons that I too love being a doula!


* Elita at Blacktating ponders the idea of the "relief bottle".


* A doula's birth story that highlights some of the ways a doula can play an important role in a planned cesarean


* The Unnecesarean links to this excellent piece on the co-opting of "pregnancy is not a disease" by anti-contraception organizations, and then breaks it down:

...this whole conversation is ridiculous. We are only having it because somebody, somewhere, is upset that women are having sexy non-babymaking funtimes they don’t approve of, and they’re determined to make us all pay for their inability to deal with not everybody agreeing with them that this is bad.
Go on, read the whole thing!


* And for the lighter side of things... I've just discovered the webcomic Married to the Sea, and in celebration they clearly did a comic just for me:



There are lots more!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing my doula post! I wrote it in the wake of a particularly happy and joyful and beautiful birth.

I too thought that Valenti's piece was spectacular. And in perhaps a different way, I think that her message rings true for many new mothers. I will always thank my mother for revealing to me during my first pregnancy that my love for my baby would develop and grow over time, and that I couldn't expect it to hit me like a ton of bricks right away.

And that passage from the Unnecesarean piece is one of my faves of all time. :-)